You work hard and try your best to live an honest life. The bankruptcy attorneys at Baker & Associates understand that when bad things happen to good people, harassing phone calls from unscrupulous debt collectors are the last things you need. Deceitful debt collectors sometimes use extreme, abusive, and illegal lengths to beat you down into paying a debt. Both the state of Texas and the federal government have very specific Deceptive Trade Practices and Fair Debt Collection laws in place to help protect you from these activities. We are here to help you put a stop to these calls and begin your steps to a more secure financial future. We invite you to contact us today for a free, no obligation consultation.
FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT
The federal government passed the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) in 1978 to ensure that debt collectors, not the original creditor such as a credit card company, treat you fairly and respectfully.
It prohibits deceitful, shameful and embarrassing methods of debt collection including the following:
- Threats – To repossess, sell your property, garnish or attack your wages or to begin lawsuit proceedings without actual intent, profane or abusive language
- Contacting any party other than your spouse, for example:
- Block party – Calling your neighbors to request them to give you a message to call
- Office party – Calling your place of employment with messages for you to call
- Misleading statements – Implication that you committed a crime, there is a lawsuit against you or that you may go to jail
- False statements – Implication that they are an attorney or government agency
- Automatic stay violation – Continued attempts after you have informed them you retained a bankruptcy lawyer
- Improper dialing – Using an auto-dialer, calling earlier or later than reasonable hours or calling after a written notice from you to the collection agency that you do not want to be called is sent and received.
DEBT RELIEF CONSUMER PROTECTION
A qualified bankruptcy lawyer at Baker & Associates can help you receive the following possible compensation and justice for debt collector violations of the law:
Debt balance negotiation
Stop the illegal and harassing phone calls
Removal of improper credit reporting
CONTACT OUR BANKRUPTCY LAWYERS
Overwhelming debt combined with seemingly never-ending calls from collection agencies can take its toll on your emotional and physical health, relationships with your family and your personal well-being. There are options and there is help.