How to Access Texas Bankruptcy Records

: Reese Baker & Associates

  Filed under: bankruptcy

There are several reasons an individual or organization would want to access Texas bankruptcy records. Perhaps you’re a person who is currently engaged in a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy process and want to know the current status of your case. You may be an HR administrator who is conducting a financial background check of a new potential hire. You might even be conducting research on bankruptcy attorneys in Houston, TX or another city in Texas. Whatever the reason, bankruptcy filings are made public record by the US Bankruptcy Courts in Texas, and thus can be viewed by anyone.

Public Access to Electronic Records (PACER)

The Public Access to Electronic Records, or PACER, system is the most widely used method of reviewing Texas bankruptcy records. The PACER case locator allows you to search for US district, bankruptcy, and appellate cases. PACER does require that you register for the site and provide billing information as the site charges you to access case information at the rage of $0.10 per page.

Justia Dockets & Filings

Justia offers access to Texas bankruptcy records in all four district courts, although you may not find the most up-to-date records. The information is rather limited with Justia as well. In order to inquire further into information such as case summaries, docket reports, and related transactions, Justia refers users back to the PACER system.

BK Data Marketing

BK Data Marketing, formally known as BKSpy advertises free bankruptcy case searches nationwide. BK Data is a bankruptcy case aggregate site that can give you basic information on bankruptcies, that like Justia Dockets and Filings, doesn’t promise to be the most accurate or updated Texas bankruptcy information, but can provide very basic Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy information. For more in-depth information on Texas bankruptcies across multiple counties, the company does offer a subscription plan.

Older, Closed Texas Bankruptcies

For older bankruptcy cases that have already been closed and that predate the early 1990s, you may need to contact that specific count clerk’s office to find records of bankruptcies. The Official Bankruptcy Federal Court Records & Bankruptcy Paperwork is run by the US Records Bankruptcy Division and allows you to order bankruptcy dockets, discharge records, and complete bankruptcy filing documents through the US Records Clerk. If you’re having difficulty finding records from your own bankruptcy case, contact your Houston bankruptcy attorney who may have retained those records, or who will be able to help point you in the right direction.